It is an exciting but challenging period in the life of every woman. The body has an incredible journey while caring for its growing child. Pregnancy discomforts like morning sickness, back pain, and insomnia can make this wonderful moment a very hard task indeed. Red light therapy makes pregnancy slightly better. However, is red light therapy safe during pregnancy? Let’s explore the benefits, safety concerns, proper usage, and how to choose the right device.
What To Look Out For During Pregnancy?
A fetus goes through a development process from an egg that has fertilized up to a baby, and pregnancy takes around forty weeks. It’s divided into three trimesters, each bringing new milestones and symptoms:
- First Trimester (weeks 1-12): The main organs and structures of the developing fetus form at this stage. Morning sickness, tiredness, mood fluctuations, and breast changes mom can feel.
- Second Trimester (weeks 13-28): It is at this stage of pregnancy that the fetus starts to move and grows fast. In most cases, mom gets restless but has back pain, and leg cramps, among other conditions.
- Third Trimester (weeks 29-40): However, it increases the size of the fetus and the maturity of the organs. Mom experiences such difficulties as heartburn, insomnia, contractions, and labor preparation.
However, several women experience complications such as gestational diabetes, preeclampsia, and pre-term labor during their pregnancies. It entails appropriate prenatal care such as nutritional counseling, exercises, and safe complementary therapies.
Positives On The Use of Red Light Therapy for Pregnant Women
During red light therapy, light is generated by LEDs or lasers and it passes through your skin. The light photons penetrate tissue and have therapeutic effects like:
- Increased Blood Circulation: Nitric oxide comes in with blood when light turns red. This helps in wound healing and recovery of muscles.
- Reduced Inflammation: Anti-inflammatory properties are found in the light. These eases join or backaches, and swellings and may reduce pain experienced.
- Improved Immunity: By reducing inflammation and oxidative stress, red light may support a healthy immune response during pregnancy.
- Enhanced Skin Health: The light increases collagen production and helps treat conditions like acne, eczema, and melasma (skin discoloration).
- Elevated Mood: Red light is shown to boost mood and energy by impacting brain cell function and serotonin. This helps combat pregnancy blues and depression.
- Accelerated Healing: After labor and delivery, red light can support the healing of episiotomies, C-section incisions, hemorrhoids, and perineal tears.
- Reduced Nausea: Early studies show red light therapy may ease nausea and vomiting when applied to the abdomen and acupuncture pressure points.
By providing these benefits, red light therapy empowers women to better handle pregnancy’s physical and emotional hurdles. It’s a drug-free way to relieve common symptoms for a more comfortable pregnancy.
Using Red Light Therapy During Pregnancy
Here are some of the main ways red light therapy can be applied during pregnancy:
- Full Body Treatment: Lying on a red light bed delivers light across your entire body to support systemic benefits. Sessions are typically 20-30 minutes 1-3 times per week.
- Localized Treatment: Using handheld red light devices lets you target specific areas like the lower back, knees, neck, or abdomen for 5-10 minutes daily.
- Acupuncture Point Stimulation: Applying red light to acupressure points like the inner wrist or behind the knee may help reduce nausea.
- Wound Healing: After delivery, daily red light treatment can accelerate the healing of episiotomies, tears, and incisions by stimulating tissue regeneration.
- Skin Rejuvenation: Red light increases collagen and treats skin changes like melasma (dark patches), acne, and spider angioma spider veins.
- Pain Relief: Red light reduces inflammatory chemicals that contribute to joint pains, backaches, leg cramps, and swelling.
- Circulation Boost: Red light encourages blood flow to deliver nutrients and oxygen throughout the body, including to the womb.
- Postpartum Recovery: Red light speeds healing and offers a mood boost after delivery when women need to restore their energy.
Is Red Light Therapy Safe During Pregnancy?
Research indicates red light therapy is very safe during pregnancy. Here’s a look at the evidence:
- Non-invasive & Drug-Free: Red light simply delivers beneficial wavelengths of light to your skin. It doesn’t require any drugs or supplements and is non-invasive.
- No Significant Heating: LED red light devices don’t emit UV rays or heat that could impact a developing fetus. The light warms outer tissue by a couple of degrees at most.
- Natural Wavelengths: Our bodies are designed to benefit from natural light. Red and near-infrared wavelengths have been shown to help grow and heal tissue.
- Well-Studied for Safety: Red light therapy has been widely studied for decades to treat wounds, pain, and other conditions safely. There are no reports of harm to pregnant women.
- Promising Clinical Results: Early pilot studies reveal red light therapy reduced nausea, depression, and pain for pregnant women without side effects. It also seems to improve outcomes.
- Doctor Recommended: Many obstetricians now recommend red light therapy for treating common pregnancy discomforts and improving postpartum recovery.
The Effects of Red Light Therapy on the Fetus
What does the science say about the potential effects of red light therapy on the developing baby? Here are some key points:
- No Evidence of Harm: There are currently no studies showing adverse effects of red light therapy on fetal development or pregnancy outcomes.
- Light Likely Doesn’t Reach Fetus: The red/NIR light only penetrates about 8-10mm into the skin and underlying tissue. It likely doesn’t reach the womb.
- May Improve Fetal Blood Flow: By increasing mom’s circulation, red light could boost blood flow and oxygen delivery to the fetus.
- May Reduce Risk of Prematurity: Reducing inflammation and promoting tissue healing in moms may help prevent early labor and premature birth.
- Could Enhance Fetal Growth & Development: Animal studies reveal red light increased growth and development when shone on the pregnant belly in mice.
- More Research Is Needed: Larger clinical studies are still required to confirm the safety and impacts of red light on human fetal development.
While current evidence doesn’t indicate any fetal harm, more research could further confirm the safety and effects of red light therapy during pregnancy. In the meantime, doctors consider it a very low risk when applied correctly.
What Should You Do When Using Red Light Therapy?
Here are some tips for safely using red light therapy as an expectant mom:
- Talk to Your Doctor First: Whenever embarking on light therapy for pregnant women, always get your obstetricians’ permission first.
- Follow Recommended Treatment Times: Do not exceed one session per day of not more than twenty or thirty minutes to prevent overexposure. Allow yourself one day in between full-body treatments.
- Use the Right Device: Select an LED device manufactured by a trusted firm, that produces the required wavelengths, yet does not produce excessive heat or UV radiations.
- Target Localized Areas: Instead of lighting up the whole body, target illuminating acupressure points when treating nausea.
- Stay Hydrated: Take in lots of clean water before and after light therapy to maintain hydration.
- Use It With Other Therapies: Practice prenatal yoga, red light therapy, healthy nutrition, and stress management.
Choosing the Best Red Light Therapy Device
To harness the benefits of red light therapy safely during pregnancy, pay attention to the device you use:
- LED-Based: LEDs produce therapeutic red and near-infrared wavelengths without hazardous UV radiation or excess heat.
- Full-Body Capable: Look for options with a bed or panel design to deliver light across your whole body.
- Power Output: Make sure the device offers enough power density for the size of the treatment area.
- Emitting Area: Bigger is better when it comes to emitting surface area. This allows you to achieve the recommended power density.
RedDot: The Gold Standard
Here’s an overview of its outstanding features:
- Medical-Grade LEDs: Obtain FDA, FC, and CE medical-grade certificates.
- Full-Body Coverage: The large surfaced area bathes your whole body with therapeutic light.
- Power Output: Product power is strong, enough to support the use of users.
- App Support: RDPRO products support app control.
- 3-Year Warranty: Parts and labor are covered under the industry-leading 3-year manufacturer’s warranty.
Red light therapy is emerging as a safe, natural way to manage common pregnancy aches and pains without medication. When used correctly under medical supervision, current research indicates the treatment is very low risk and may offer significant benefits for mom and baby. To experience the perks safely, choose an effective LED device from a reputable manufacturer and follow the prescribed treatment times. Give yourself the gift of red light, and glow through your pregnancy journey!
RDPRO300 300W LED red light therapy panel for face and skin careRead more
RDPRO1500 1500W LED red light therapy device with timer and touch screenRead more
RDPRO3000 LED Red Light Therapy Product with Timer and Touch ScreenRead more
RDPRO6000 LED Red Light Therapy Equipment with APP ControlRead more
Published by reddotled.com (Repost Tips)