Migraines can be extremely debilitating and frustrating to deal with. They often involve severe head pain, nausea, sensitivity to light and sound, and other unpleasant symptoms. While there are medications that can help, they don’t work for everyone. The good news is that light therapy offers a drug-free way to prevent and treat migraine symptoms.
Source: The picture comes from the Internet
In this article, we’ll explore the research behind light therapy for migraines and help you understand which type of light therapy may be most effective for you. By the end, you’ll have the information you need to decide if trying light therapy could provide you with much-needed migraine relief. Let’s get started!
What is Light Therapy?
Before we illuminate the specifics, let’s first understand what light therapy is. Light therapy, also known as phototherapy or photobiomodulation, involves exposure to specific wavelengths of light to improve various health conditions. It is a non-invasive and drug-free approach that has shown promising results in treating migraines. Specific colors of light seem to have particular effects. So light therapy for migraines involves careful selection of light with certain colors or wavelengths.
What light therapy is best for migraines?
While light therapy encompasses different colors of light, not all colors are equally effective in alleviating migraines. Research indicates that exposure to green light may be the most effective light therapy for migraines. Here’s an overview of the evidence on different colors:
- Blue light: may aggravate migraines by increasing oxidative stress. However, some people do report relief from blue light therapy.
- Red light: has shown positive effects on headaches and migraine pain in some studies. However, the evidence is weaker compared to green light.
- Green light: with wavelengths of 520-540 nm, has demonstrated significant migraine relief in multiple clinical trials.
- White light: therapy has not been well studied for migraines. There is a risk it could worsen light sensitivity. Full spectrum daylight lamps are not recommended.
So clearly green light seems to have unique advantages when it comes to migraines. But why is green light so effective compared to other colors?
How Green Light Therapy Can Relieve Migraines?
Green light therapy involves exposure to a specific wavelength of green light, typically ranging between 520 to 570 nanometers. So, why does green light work wonders for migraines? Here are some of the key reasons why green light can successfully treat migraines:
Normalizes Circadian Rhythms
Disrupted circadian rhythms are believed to be a root cause of migraines for many people. The hypothalamus is essentially the control center for circadian cycles governing hormone levels, sleep patterns, and more. Abnormal hypothalamus signaling leads to circadian disruption that can trigger migraines. Green light exposure regulates the hypothalamus which in turn stabilizes circadian rhythms. This regulates melatonin release, makes sleep cycles more regular, and puts the brain and body into a calm state. All of these effects can prevent migraines from occurring.
Low serotonin levels in the brain are a major culprit in migraines. Serotonin is key neurotransmitter that regulates pain perception, mood, sleep, appetite, and more.
Lowers Stress Response
The hypothalamus also controls the body’s fight-or-flight stress response via the pituitary gland. Chronic stress is a migraine trigger for many people. Green light reduces excitability in the hypothalamus which dampens the stress response.
Reduces Neuron Excitability
The neurons involved in pain perception and processing can become over-excited during migraines. This amplifies painful sensations throughout the brain. Green light seems to directly reduce excitability levels in these pain-related neurons. This subsequently reduces headache pain and discomfor from light and sound sensitivity.
As mentioned already, poor sleep is one of the most common migraine triggers. Chronic sleep deprivation agitates the hypothalamus and disrupts circadian rhythms. Green light therapy helps consolidate sleep at night and improves sleep quality. This prevents migraines caused by sleep dysfunction.
Because green light stabilizes so many bodily systems involved in migraine attacks, it can be a powerful preventative and acute treatment approach.
Source: The picture comes from the Internet
Research Proves Green Light Therapy Can Treat Migraines
Numerous scientific studies have investigated the potential of green light therapy for migraine relief. These studies have shown promising results, demonstrating a reduction in pain intensity, decreased migraine frequency, and improved quality of life for migraine sufferers. Here’s an overview of the research on green light therapy for migraines:
– In a 2016 study published in the journal Brain, researchers found that nearly 80 percent of participants experienced worsening migraine symptoms when exposed to other types of light. Twenty percent of the participants actually experienced a reduction in pain when exposed to this green light. Researchers proposed that at low intensities and filtering out all other light, green light may reduce the intensity of photophobia and migraines.
– In a 2021 clinical trial, 29 migraine sufferers used green LED light therapy in a dark room for at least 1 hour per day, with the option to increase exposure to 2 hours per day for 10 weeks. Patients who used the green light experienced an average reduction of about 60% in the number of monthly headache days, with most patients seeing a reduction of more than 50%, which also reduced the duration of headaches. It shows that green light therapy can effectively reduce the number of headache days, intensity and duration of headache attacks in patients with episodic migraine or chronic migraine.
– A 2023 study in a University of Arizona lab found that green light increases the production of endorphins, painkillers that occur naturally in the body.
Of course, green light therapy alone may not eliminate migraines entirely in all cases. But when used consistently, it can often provide substantial relief with minimal side effects. It is also safe and easy to incorporate into your daily migraine management routine.
Benefits of Using RedDot LED Green Light Therapy
Based on extensive scientific research, it is clear that regular use of green light therapy offers major benefits for both preventing migraine attacks and alleviating symptoms during attacks. This is why investing in a high quality green light device for home use is highly recommended for migraine sufferers. RedDot LED offers the highest quality green light therapy device. Here are some of the advantages of choosing RedDot LED green light solutions:
- Superior Quality: Reddot LED products are crafted using the latest technology and adhere to stringent quality standards, ensuring a reliable and durable solution.
- Customization Options: Reddot LED provides customizable solutions to cater to individual preferences and specific therapy needs.
- Timer Function: Convenient auto on/off timer allows you to adhere to consistent daily treatment schedules.
- Trusted Brand: RedDot has 10+ years experience developing therapeutic LED light technology, all products are FDA certified.
Give yourself the gift of fewer, milder migraines and start improving your quality of life today. Get the proven green light therapy solution – order the RedDot LED light therapy device now!
Martin LF, Patwardhan AM, Jain SV, et al. Evaluation of green light exposure on headache frequency and quality of life in migraine patients: A preliminary one-way cross-over clinical trial. Cephalalgia. 2021;41(2):135- 147.
Laurent F. Martin, Kevin Cheng, Stephanie M. Washington, et al. Green Light Exposure Elicits Anti-inflammation, Endogenous Opioid Release and Dampens Synaptic Potentiation to Relieve Post-surgical Pain. The Journal of Pain. Volume 24, Issue 3, March 2023, Pages 509-529.
Published by reddotled.com (Repost Tips)